Phalloplasty is a surgery that can be performed to create a penis in transgender men. It does not change the individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Sexual orientation is about who a person is attracted to, and gender identity is about how a person feels about their own gender. Phalloplasty does not change either of these things.
Some transgender men may experience a change in their sexual function after phalloplasty. This is because the surgery can affect the nerves and blood vessels that control erections. However, many transgender men are able to have satisfying sexual relationships after phalloplasty.
Ultimately, the impact of phalloplasty on an individual’s sexual orientation and identity is up to the individual. Some transgender men may find that the surgery helps them feel more comfortable in their own skin and more confident in their relationships. Others may not experience any significant changes.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind:
- Phalloplasty is a complex surgery that can have both physical and emotional risks. It is important to carefully consider all of the risks and benefits before deciding to have the surgery.
- There are different types of phalloplasty, and the best type for an individual will vary depending on their specific needs and goals.
- Recovery from phalloplasty can take several months. During this time, the individual will need to care for the surgical site and follow their doctor’s instructions carefully.
Phalloplasty itself does not typically impact an individual’s sexual orientation or identity. Sexual orientation and gender identity are distinct aspects of a person’s identity:
- Sexual Orientation: Sexual orientation refers to an individual’s romantic and sexual attraction to others. It includes categories such as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and asexual, among others. Phalloplasty does not change a person’s sexual orientation. An individual’s sexual orientation remains a fundamental aspect of their identity that is separate from their gender identity or any gender-affirming surgeries.
- Gender Identity: Gender identity refers to an individual’s deeply held sense of their own gender, whether it is male, female, both, neither, or something else entirely. Phalloplasty is a surgical procedure that aligns an individual’s external genitalia with their gender identity. It is a step taken by some transgender individuals as part of their gender-affirming journey. Gender identity is an intrinsic part of who a person is and may or may not align with their assigned sex at birth.