Penile prosthesis implantation is designed to restore erectile function and is typically performed with the goal of preserving the natural appearance and symmetry of the penis as much as possible. Skilled surgeons take care to minimize changes in the appearance of the penis during the procedure. However, there can be some variation in individual outcomes, and it’s important to discuss appearance-related concerns with the surgeon. Here are some points to consider:
- Preservation of Appearance: Surgeons aim to preserve the natural appearance of the penis by making precise incisions and carefully placing the prosthesis within the erectile bodies of the penis. The goal is to achieve a result that closely resembles a natural erection.
- Minimization of Scarring: Surgeons use techniques to minimize scarring, such as making incisions in inconspicuous locations and using dissolvable sutures. Over time, surgical scars tend to fade and become less noticeable.
- Post-Operative Swelling: Some degree of post-operative swelling and bruising is common after penile prosthesis implantation. This can temporarily affect the appearance of the penis. However, these effects typically resolve as the healing process progresses.
- Patient Variation: The impact on the appearance of the penis can vary among individuals based on factors such as their anatomy, the type of prosthesis used, and the surgical technique employed. Patients may have individualized experiences in terms of appearance.
- Partner Perspective: In many cases, partners report that the appearance of the penis with a penile prosthesis is satisfying and does not significantly affect their sexual experience. Open communication with a partner can help address any appearance-related concerns.
- Customized Care: Patients should have a thorough discussion with their healthcare provider, including a urologist experienced in penile prosthetic surgery, to discuss their specific concerns and expectations regarding the appearance of the penis after the procedure. The surgeon can provide personalized guidance and address individualized concerns.