Penile prosthesis implantation is generally performed to improve sexual function in men with severe erectile dysfunction (ED). The primary purpose of this procedure is to enable men to achieve and maintain erections sufficient for sexual intercourse when other treatments have failed or are not suitable. Therefore, in most cases, penile prosthesis implantation can have a positive impact on sexual function.
However, it’s essential to consider some potential factors that may affect sexual function after the implantation of a penile prosthesis:
- Restoration of Erections: Penile prostheses are specifically designed to help men regain the ability to achieve and sustain erections. They can be a highly effective solution for men with severe ED who have not responded to other treatments. With a penile prosthesis, many men can achieve reliable and on-demand erections, which can improve their sexual function and overall sexual satisfaction.
- Natural Feel: Modern penile prostheses are designed to provide a more natural-feeling erection compared to some other treatment options like vacuum erection devices or penile injections. This can contribute to a more satisfying sexual experience for both the individual and their partner.
- Spontaneity: Penile prostheses allow for spontaneous sexual activity since they do not require the planning associated with oral medications or other treatments.
- Partner Satisfaction: Penile prostheses have been reported to provide high levels of satisfaction among both men with the devices and their partners, as they can help restore intimacy and sexual fulfillment within the relationship.
- Minimal Impact on Sensation: While there may be concerns about potential loss of sensation, modern penile prostheses aim to preserve as much natural sensation as possible during sexual activity.