Penile implant removal or revision may improve the cosmetic appearance of the penis in some cases, but it is not guaranteed. The amount of improvement will depend on a number of factors, including the type of implant, the reason for removal or revision, and the individual patient’s anatomy.
Some of the ways in which penile implant removal or revision can improve the cosmetic appearance of the penis include:
- Reducing the size of the scrotum. Penile implants can cause the scrotum to swell, especially if they are inflatable. Removing or revising the implant can reduce this swelling and improve the overall appearance of the scrotum.
- Improving the symmetry of the penis. Penile implants can sometimes cause the penis to become crooked or deformed. Removing or revising the implant can correct these problems and improve the symmetry of the penis.
- Eliminating scarring and other complications. Penile implants can sometimes cause scarring or other complications, such as infection or erosion. Removing or revising the implant can eliminate these problems and improve the overall appearance of the penis.
It is important to note that penile implant removal or revision is a major surgery with its own risks and complications. Anyone considering this procedure should discuss the risks and benefits with a qualified urologist.
In addition to the factors listed above, the cosmetic appearance of the penis may also be improved by other factors, such as:
- Weight loss. If a man is overweight or obese, losing weight can reduce the amount of fat around the penis and improve its appearance.
- Exercise. Exercise can help to strengthen the muscles around the penis and improve its overall appearance.
- Grooming. Regular grooming, such as trimming pubic hair and washing the penis with soap and water, can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the penis.
Penile implant removal or revision surgery is primarily performed to address functional issues and complications related to a previously implanted device, rather than for cosmetic purposes. However, in some cases, improving the cosmetic appearance of the penis may be an incidental benefit of these procedures.
Here are some ways in which penile implant removal or revision can potentially impact the cosmetic appearance of the penis:
- Correction of Implant Erosion: If the primary issue leading to the removal or revision of a penile implant is implant erosion, the surgery can address the deformity and restore a more normal appearance to the penis. Erosion can cause a visible deformity and discomfort, and addressing it can improve the aesthetic appearance.
- Reduced Scarring: Skilled surgical techniques and careful wound care during the removal or revision surgery can help minimize scarring. Aesthetic outcomes can be improved when the surgical incisions are well-placed and sutured meticulously.
- Revision for Improved Aesthetics: Some patients may choose to have revision surgery to switch to a different type of implant for personal or cosmetic reasons. For example, they may want to replace an inflatable implant with a malleable one for a simpler and more natural appearance.