Yes, penile implant removal or revision can be performed if the implant is malfunctioning. In fact, addressing implant malfunction is one of the common reasons for these procedures. Malfunctions can occur with both inflatable and malleable penile implants, and they can result in issues such as difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection, discomfort, or pain.
Here are some scenarios in which penile implant removal or revision may be considered to address implant malfunction:
- Inflatable Implant Malfunction:
- Inflatable penile implants consist of cylinders, a pump, and a reservoir. Malfunctions in these components can lead to issues like loss of rigidity or inability to inflate the implant.
- Malfunctions can include cylinder leaks, damage to the pump mechanism, or problems with the reservoir.
- Removal and revision surgery may involve replacing the malfunctioning components with new ones to restore proper function.
- Malleable Implant Malfunction:
- Malleable implants consist of bendable rods that are permanently in a semi-rigid state. Malfunctions in these rods can lead to discomfort or pain.
- Malfunctions can include bending or fracture of the rods, which can cause pain or deformity.
- Removal and revision surgery may involve replacing the malfunctioning rods with new ones to restore proper penile rigidity.
- Pump or Reservoir Issues:
- In some cases, malfunctions may occur in the pump or reservoir of inflatable implants, making it difficult to achieve an erection.
- Removal and revision may involve addressing issues with the pump or reservoir, such as repairing or replacing these components.
- Erosion or Extrusion: Malfunctions can also lead to complications like implant erosion or extrusion, where the implant penetrates or erodes through the skin. These complications can cause discomfort, pain, and cosmetic concerns.
- Infection: In some cases, implant malfunction may be associated with infection. In such situations, removal and revision may be necessary to address both the malfunction and the infection.