Penis implants (penile prostheses) are available in different models and types, each with its own features and capabilities. While there is some degree of customization available within the options provided by manufacturers, the extent of customization may be limited compared to other medical devices. Here’s what you should know about customization of penis implants:
1. Implant Types: There are primarily two main types of penis implants: inflatable (hydraulic) implants and malleable (semi-rigid) implants. Each type has its own features and benefits, and the choice between them may depend on individual preferences and needs.
2. Size and Length: Penis implants come in different sizes and lengths to accommodate varying anatomies. Your healthcare provider will work with you to choose an implant that is appropriate for your specific needs and body size.
3. Surgical Technique: The surgical technique used to place the implant and ensure proper fit and function can be tailored to your individual anatomy. However, the implant itself is selected from pre-designed models provided by the manufacturer.
4. Functionality: Inflatable implants offer different levels of rigidity and girth expansion, allowing some degree of adjustment based on individual preferences. Malleable implants can be bent into position for sexual activity and then returned to a flaccid state.
5. Manufacturer’s Options: Manufacturers offer a range of implant models with various features, and your healthcare provider will work with you to choose the model that aligns with your needs and preferences.
While there may not be extensive customization in the same way as tailor-made products, the goal of a penile implant is to provide a functional and reliable solution for erectile dysfunction. Your healthcare provider will work closely with you to assess your needs, explain the available options, and guide you toward the implant type and model that is most appropriate for you.